Monday, June 4, 2007

A window into Spain's culture

An opportunity of a lifetime has opened up for me. That opportunity is to study and experience Spain’s culture.

I will be traveling with a group of 30 wonderful students and non-students along with two brilliant instructors. I have had the pleasure of studying Humanities with Ms. Marina Ornelas. I will now be studying World Cultures and Global Issues under her supervision. I am looking forwarded to studying under the guidance of Dr. Denise Barkis Richter, associde professor for of Communication and News Gathering/Writing I.

Studying in Spain will aid me in a multicultural environment. In the United State, since its very beginning, we have been a culturally diverse society. Today, large and small business organizations are no exception to multiculturalism. New leaders of today and tomorrow need to be educated in an array of cultures enabling them to understand the ideas, customs, values, and skills of a specific group of employees in all aspects of the job. Traveling to Spain will aid me in understanding the culture of Spain. I will be able to apply this new found awareness in a large organization who deals with business from Spain or who has a division in Spain.

The news gathering and writing course will enhance my written communication skill along with new techniques of information gathering. This course will provide me with basic knowledge of proper news story writing.

On the lighter side of my study abroad…I have often imagined the passionate and seductive art form of Spain’s flamenco dancing. I envisioned the dancers’ mysterious romantic movements to the fast pace of guitar. I dreamed one day I would see a live performance of flamenco that would take my breath away. My hope is to experience this dance live in Spain.

I am looking forward to new cultural experiences in Spain, including sampling the colorful cuisine of Spain. All my family and friends will understand my closing statement. I want to experience Spain to the fullest and treat my taste buds to that famous ice cream.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to see the pictures and read more about Spain thru your eyes. :)

Take care and have a great time!
Chris